Sunday 10 May 2015

Final Major Project- Concept Sheets


Here is the process to my Character concept development which I had not yet polished off or posted before showing some of my armature build.

The story is based around a young woman sophia living in the late victorian era in her large abbey family home.

 To start with I did some research which is very important! looking into woman of upper class in the late 1890's, I also looked into films based around the time as this could give me a better idea of style.

Then I looked into female puppets of animation concept design which I felt influenced my concepts.






I did some quick initial designs of what I thought the character could look like, trying to portray her personality as much as possible.
Below is also some action poses for the character with actions of her day to day life. 



Refining the character more from the initial designs I went onto an expression sheet which will help to give me an idea for when I do replacement faces.

Moving onto costume development I drew out her simple shape and printed copies so that I could draw on top of them with different designs, making sure to look back at my research.



Then I finally get into some colour! Once I had a idea of costume I picked two that I preferred and began to block colour them with different swatches.






Then once I decided on the costume I moved onto one of the final parts which is a turnaround and colour turnaround of my Character.



From my turnaround and for stop motion purposes a Armature Plan is necessary when producing a puppet, it gives you a great template to work off once scaled to the right proportions a better understanding of the structure of the puppet is seen. 


Next I looked back into research of some key and new techniques I wish to put into my puppet so below you can find images of the style of the puppet I am going for. 

First I looked into a great hair fabricator who lead the department in Coraline- Suzanne Moultan.


Then I looked back into the replacement face technique from both Sean and the Flynn twins, I have done this method before however I always go back to the source as I pick up things I had missed the first time round.



Thats it for today! Hope to have more concept sheets up soon, I will also be following up on some of my set design! ;P 

Hope you enjoyed :D


No comments:

Post a Comment